When travelling to a foreign country, we experience many different things, from food to culture to varying personalities to new exciting places. Similarly, we also find their driving rules astonishing, especially when you come from a right-hand driving country to a left-hand driving country and vice versa.
Right-hand driving VS Left-hand driving
The right-hand drive car has its steering wheel on the right, and the driver uses the left side of the road. On the contrary, a left-hand drive car has its steering wheel on the left side. Hence the car is driven on the right side of the road. For example, Toyota Left Hand Drive Cars for Sale in UK.
Some important things to remember in Left-hand driving environments
- Generally, all traffic must stay on the left side of the road until one needs to overtake another vehicle.
- Drivers can see the oncoming traffic on the right, and the traffic turning right must cross.
- Drivers could see traffic signs on the left side of the road.
- The drivers may turn left after stopping at a red light.
- Pedestrians, when crossing a two-way road, have to look for traffic coming from the right.
- Both the appointed lane for turning left and normal driving is on the left.
- Several divided highway exits can be found on the left.
Some important things to remember in Right-hand driving environments
- The traffic must stay on the right side unless a driver needs to overtake another vehicle.
- One can see the oncoming traffic from the left. Furthermore, the traffic turning left must cross.
- A driver can see the traffic signs on the right side of the road.
- A pedestrian must watch out for traffic coming from the left when crossing a two-way road.
- The right lane is the appointed lane for turning right and normal driving
- Many divided highways can be found on the right side.
Interesting facts regarding left-hand drive and right-hand drive
- The USA had a right-hand driving system in the past, and now it has a left-hand driving system.
- In the early 20th century, Ford was the first US manufacturing company to shift from a right-hand driving system to a left-hand driving system. Because it was easier to spot oncoming vehicles in the left-hand driving system.
- Only four European countries use the left-hand driving system, including Ireland, Cyprus, Malta, and the United Kingdom.
- Meanwhile, Austria used both sides of the road until the invasion by Hitler in 1938. He ordered to use of the right-hand driving system.
- Napoleon Bonaparte introduced the right-hand driving system in these countries: Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, and Poland.
How to convert a vehicle from right-hand drive to left-hand drive?
The conversion from Toyota Left Hand Drive Cars for Sale in the UK to right-hand drive is probably not easy. Because most countries use the left-hand driving side, the right-hand side is not easy, as you may assume. The left-hand side was initially introduced by Great Britain, after which several countries adopted it.
The conversion procedure includes:
- Steering wheel repositioning
- Dashboard repositioning
- Rack and pinion exchange
- Shift knob replacement
- Side mirror repositioning
- And angle adjustment
The conversion process includes the following steps
Though it is not an easy procedure, if you still want to perform the conversion, you have to follow the next steps:
- Dismantling the entire dashboard and repositioning everything connected to it. You don’t have to remove the wiring harness; you can reposition and invert it.
- With the Left-hand car, replace the steering and pinion rack assembly. Remember that it will affect the airbags installed in the system, so it is crucial to replace them carefully without damaging them.
- Reposition the pedal assembly, and if you drive a manual car, it includes dismantling the system of all three pedals and removing and reinstalling them.
- Repositioning and reinstalling the brake cylinder. To carry out this task, always ask a professional mechanic to do it because even the slightest mistake can endanger your safety.
- Repositioning all the items at the firewall of Toyota Prado Left Hand Drive for Sale, including; blow motors, AC ducts, different cables, and wires. And since the firewall is installed between the passenger compartment and the engine bay, removing the transmission and engine is a must.
- Adjustment of doors; if your car has controls installed in the middle of the vehicle, there is no need to change anything. On the other hand, if the controls are inside the doors, you have to remove and replace them.